Wednesday, 9 January 2013
For Wednesday I'm sharing 2 recipes for the lunch box: firstly curry chicken and rice soup and secondly blueberry compote with 'homemade' Greek yoghurt.
So for the lunchbox we have Chicken Curry and Rice Soup (without the rice), bread, butter, sugarsnap peas, carrots & sour cream and chive dip.
Chicken Curry And Rice Soup
• 1-2 tbsp butter
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 potatoes, chopped
• 2 carrots, chopped
• 2 tbsp curry powder
• 1 litre chicken stock
• Juice of 1/2 a lemon
• Salt and pepper
• 2 tbsp coriander, fresh, chopped
• 2 chicken breast, cooked and chopped
• 2-4 cups cooked rice
1. Heat butter in a large pan. Fry onions until translucent, do not brown. Add potatoes and carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
2. Add curry powder and fry until fragrant. Add the chicken stock and bring to a bowl stirring. Bring down to a simmer and allow to simmer for 45 minutes.
3. Add lemon juice, season with salt and pepper and blend it all together until smooth. Add chicken breast and coriander and heat through.
4. Heat rice. Serve by placing 1/2 to 1 cup of rice into a soup bowl, ladle 2 cups soup over rice, top with more coriander.
Serves 4 WeightWatchers ProPoints 9
Blueberry Compote and 'Homemade' Greek Yoghurt
Greek Yoghurt is merely thick yoghurt and if you live in a country where you can find low fat Greek Yoghurt then just buy that but in Cape Town all I can find is double thick Greek Yoghurt. So creamy, so luxurious but double thick is just too calorific! So now I can get the thick smooth yoghurt using fat free yoghurt!
• 1 cup blueberries (frozen or fresh)
• 1 tbsp sugar
• juice of 1/2 a lemon
• 2 150g tubs of any plain yoghurt
1. Place two paper towels into a sieve over a bowl. Add the yoghurt and allow to drain until yoghurt is the desired consistency. The longer you drain the yoghurt, the thicker it becomes.
2. Place blueberries, sugar and lemon into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and let simmer for a couple of minutes.
Serves 2 WeightWatchers ProPoints 3