COHEN DIET | Chicken in Mustard Sauce with Cauliflower Rice


This is definitely my new favourite dinner to have. I made the rice by accident: I intended to make cauliflower mash but was too impatient to wait until it was cooked soft (as the chicken took only 10 minutes!) so I removed it too quickly and when I mashed it I ended up with perfect rice! I was never I mustard fan until we spend a week in Paris for our honeymoon. There everything comes with mustard so I finally developed a taste for it and since you can eat only curry and mustard powder on the Cohen Diet I didn't have much of a choice but to start experimenting.


For best results I marinate my chicken in the sauce for 30 minutes before I cook it.

Serves 1

  • 1 chicken breast, cut into strips
  • 1 tsp mayonnaise
  • 1 tbsp vinegar
  • 1-2 tsp mustard powder
  • ½ tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tbsp diet sprite
  • ½ a cauliflower head, broken into florets 
  1. Mix the mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard and garlic powder in a bowl until smooth. Pour over the chicken and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  2. Place the florets into a steamer and start steaming until it can be pierced with a fork.
  3. Heat a frying pan to medium heat, spray with a little bit of oil.
  4. Add the chicken and cover with a lid for 5 minutes, allowing to steam. If the sauce begins to dry, add some sprite.
  5. When the chicken is almost cooked through, turn the heat up to fry the chicken strips a bit. The sauce will become thick quite quickly so add the sprite. When the sauce reaches a nice consistency, turn the heat off, cover the pan with the lid and make the rice.
  6. To make the rice, remove the florets to a bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher until it resembles rice. Season with salt.
  7. Serve the chicken on top of the rice and sprinkle with a few snips of spring onion.
  8. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. I just wanted to say, "Thanks" for your Cohen's recipe ideas. I made your chicken in mustard sauce today and it was delicious. I'm not an 'inventive cook' and found everything a bit bland until I found your blog. You're making it a whole lot easier! Much gratitude. Cheers Belinda - Sydney, Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Belinda. I am so glad you enjoyed it. It's probably the hardest part of any diet and that is to create something that isn't bland especially where you are so limited. Please don't hesitate to share some of your recipes with me as I need inspiration too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts