Sweet Jalapeño Poppers wrapped in Bacon






The idea for these struck me after I attempted the Sweet Jalapeño Popper Sandwich that almost hit the spot. I say almost because I was still searching for that perfect balance between sweet and spicy. Then one day after making my Famous Family Rice Salad I thought that I should try maraschino cherries in a traditional popper instead. Then I still wanted the meatiness but the salami and feta made it too salty so I decided to swap out the salami for bacon. The idea was to have crispy pieces on the inside but then it means additional cooking, and as you know I'm lazy. So by wrapping the poppers with bacon I can keep the filling inside, get the meaty flavour and crisp up the bacon all in the oven.





I found a new place for the biggest best shaped pickled jalapeños in town from More Sauce at the Good Food and Wine show. They also do an amazing fresh mild chilli sauce.
  • 10 Pickled Jalapeños (I had 7 huge ones)
  • 10 Maraschino glacé cherries, chopped finely,
  • Low fat cream cheese, 1 tub
  • 1 - 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
  • 14 strips Bacon, streaky
  • 2 tbsp apricot chutney, melted
  • Sweet chilli sauce for dipping










  1. Mix the cream cheese, cherries and mozzarella in a bowl.
  2. Make a cut in the jalapeños from stem to tip without cutting all the way through. Alternatively, if a whole jalapeño is too hot then cut them in half.
  3. Remove all the seeds from inside.
  4. Place at least 1 tsp cheese mixture inside.
  5. Wrap with a bacon slice. Fix with a toothpick if necessary.
  6. Place on a baking tray sprayed with cooking spray.
  7. Brush with melted apricaot jam.
  8. Bake in a preheated oven of 200*C for 20 - 25 minutes or until the bacon is cooked and crispy and the cheese is melted.

Comments

Popular Posts