Homemade Quick Minestrone Soup
Today's lunch is virtuous in that it is filled to the brim with homemade Minestrone Soup (my own little version).
This is dedicated to our honeymoon as last year on 9 July 2012 we were on a Mediterranean Cruise visiting the coastline of Italy! Now I would have preferred lasagna or macaroni and cheese or even home-made pizza but as I am not allowed to eat any of the above in large quantities (and believe me if any were homemade even a tornado would not stop me!) I opted for something healthy.
My version is as follows:
- 500g extra lean mince
- 1 can tomato puree
- 2 Knorr Stock Pots (chicken or beef)
- 1 packet minestrone vegetable and bean mix from Woolworth's (or a mixture of carrots, celery, onion, cannalini and butter beans)
- 2 cups dry pasta
- 2 1/2 to 3 litres of boiled water
What to do:
- Brown the mince in a little bit of oil. When cooked through add the tomato puree and stock pots.
- Add a little bit of water to prevent sticking.
- Add the vegetables then enough water to cover the vegetables and mince, then add another 500ml.
- Cook on medium heat for 45 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the beans are almost cooked through.
- Add the pasta (and more water if necessary). and cook for another 25 minutes or until the pasta is cooked to your liking.
Enjoy with grated Parmesan or mozzarella and a tsp of pesto.