I am having a love affair with baked oats. Really it is so easy to prepare on a Friday night while making dinner and you have a quick and healthy breakfast option for the whole weekend. Which means when the Little One suddenly decides at 08h00 that she is hungry NOW I can just cut a portion, pour over some milk and heat it up instead of resorting to cereal.
The options really are endless. I have done bigger ones before with Blueberries and Macadamia Nuts which were great and a Baked Caramel version as well. You can add any flavour combination you can think off. I also made a smaller Peanut Butter Baked version that looked ands smelled like one giant peanut butter cookie with great success.
• 1 1/2 cup oats (not the quick cooking kind)
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 2 cups light coconut milk
• 3 cups full cream milk
• 1/4 cup light brown sugar
• 1/2 cup desiccated coconut flakes
• 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 180C.
2. Pour the oats, salt, baking powder, milk and coconut milk in the bowl. Whisk lightly.
3. Add the coconut flakes and blueberries. Cover with foil otherwise the top browns too quickly.
4. Bake for 1 hour. The oats might still be slightly runny, but will get firmer as it cools down. If it is too runny cook for another 5 to 10 minutes.
I love having straight away but it really is best eaten the next day, heated with some milk and some fresh blueberries. You also added some of my Blueberry Compote. Just mush it down and enjoy.