Mexican Breakfast Eggs For Hubby's Birthday!



 
Hubby is a real spice lover - specifically chili. Me not so much. Over the years I have learned to tolerate more than I use to but I can't eat the stuff by the gallons. Hubby would gladly add chili to his oatmeal if he could get away with it.



We ended up going away to Arniston with some friends for Hubby's birthday and I decided to make breakfast. I wanted to something special and not just the usual:bacon and eggs. Hubby's friend has an obsession with tomatoes (just like the Little One) and would gladly eat a can of tomatoes up with a spoon. Two extremes that I had to combine and I de3cided to add the chillies and tomatoes to a pan and then just add eggs!



The eggs are added to little holes made in the tomato mixture and then allowed to bubble away for a bit until the whites are cooked but the yolks are still soft. I added some pickled jalapenos to the mixture but just a little bit so the wives and even the kiddies could enjoy it too. Then I served it with a selection of rye bread or croissants and more chili sauce on the side. It was a huge hit and I will definitely make this again.



 What you need:

  • 8 eggs (2 per person)
  • 1 to 2 cans Indian spices chopped tomatoes (or Mexican spice etc or you can just add your own)
  • 2 chopped pickled jalapenos
  • big bunch fresh parsley or coriander or both, chopped
  • grated Parmesan cheese
  • rye bread or croissants

What to do:

  1. Add the tomatoes, spices, jalapenos and half of the fresh coriander or parlsey to a pan and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes to infuse.
  2. Make holes in the mixture and drop in each egg carefully not to break the yolk.
  3. Allow to slowly simmer for 10 minutes, checking that it doesn't get too hot at the bottom and burn.
  4. Before serving: sprinkle with fresh coriander and cheese and serve directly from the pan!
  5. Enjoy!



Comments

Popular Posts