COHEN DIET: Meatballs in Tomato Sauce and Mash
I've used a box crushed tomatoes with herbs and chilli as it really is only to add flavour as you get very little of the tomato sauce when you serve it (it becomes very watery and only the tomatoes on top of the meatballs actually gets eaten, which equates to about 10g per meatball).
The serving size is quite large as Hubby is joining me in the diet (in spirit at least) so he gets a big helping.
I used 1kg mince and made 16 meatballs
- 1 kg extra lean mince or steak chopped finely
- 1 box crushed tomatoes
- mixed herbs
- 1/4 tsp finely chopped red chilli
- cauliflower mash (to serve)
- Preheat the oven 180ºC.
- Season the mince with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mince into 16 meatballs (so a serving is 2 meatballs)
- Place it in a roasting pan sprayed with spray-and-cook.
- Mix the herbs and chilli with the tomatoes and pour over the meatballs.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve with the cauliflower mash (see TIP below).
Tip: The cauliflower mash is just cauliflower, steamed until tender, mashed with salt and pepper to taste.