Low Carb Creamy Chicken Bake (Chicken-a-la-King)
I love creamy bakes with lost of sauce, however I hate a thin sauce. It should coat the meat and glue the rice together! I sued to make my sauce from a packet that included flour to thicken the sauce as it cooks and lost of flavour add-ins that are all artificial. Now I make this quick dinner and it taste amazing. You can make it with a cooked chicken boned but I only had chicken pieces so I cooked it from scratch.
Recipe adapted from the book "Low Carb is Lekker".
What do you need:
- 8 chicken pieces
- 250g mushrooms
- 4 zucchinis
- 1 tsp garlic
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup cream
- 1 stock cube
- boiling water
- lemon juice
- Heat 1 tbsp of the butter in a frying pan that has a lid. Add the chicken and fry until brown.
- Dissolve the stock cube in a cup of boiling water. Add it to the chicken.
- Reduce the heat and put the lid on. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
- Remove the lid and allow to simmer until the water is almost evaporated.
- Turn up the heat, add the rest of the butter.
- Fry the mushrooms until golden brown.
- Add the zucchini and fry for a few minutes more.
- Add the garlic, cream and lemon juice.
- Turn down the heat and allow to simmer until the sauce thickens.
Traditionally you enjoy this dish with rice. You can fake it with caulirice but I just steamed the cauliflower and enjoyed it as is.
Try it, you will love it at first sight.