South African Braai Pie | Steak Jalapeño Popper Pie
Happy New Year!!
This is something special for new year, a beautiful braai pie (BBQ puff pastry pie on the grill). This is just perfect as it is hot, the sun is shinning and everyone needs to get out for a bit . So light the fire, braai some meat, make this pie and add a salad or 2 and your summer menu is fixed, so sit back, relax and get ready for 2016, it is going to be a bumpy ride!
- 2 rolls puff pastry, defrosted
- ½ cup onion relish or chutney (anything sweet even sweet chilli sauce)
- 2 packets salami
- 2 cups left over steak, sliced thinly
- 1 cup jalapeño slices, seeded
- 2-3 cups grated mozzarella
- 1 cup feta, crumbled
- Spray the braai grid well with baking spray on both sides
- Unroll one of the rolls of puff pastry onto the first grid.
- Spread with the onion relish or chutney.
- Place a layer of salami over the pastry then top with the steak, jalapeño slices and feta.
- Add a layer of cheese.
- Finish with another layer of salami and then place the second roll of puff pastry on top
- Using your finger tips seal the edges of the pastry as if making a pie
- Lightly brush with egg wash before placing on the braai and make three small incisions in the top of the pastry using a small knife to allow the steam to escape
- Place high on a very cool braai and allow to cook for about 20 minutes turning the pie over often.
- Remove from the grid by placing a cutting board on top and turning it over.
- Cut into slices.