Lunch box: Wednesday, 9 October 2013
I think I might have mentioned this before: we really love mash and eat it with everything, including fishcakes made with mash! However for a healthier option I would suggest a salad with lemon wedges or green steamed veggies with herb butter.
SALMON FISH CAKES
- 300g cold mashed potatoes
- 6 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 250g hot smoked salmon fillets, skinned and flaked
- 8 thick slices mozzarella
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 85g dried breadcrumbs or panko crumbs
- sunflower oil, for frying (optional)
- salad and lemon wedges, to serve
- In a large bowl, mix together the potato, spring onions and salmon, then shape into 8 even-size cakes.
- Push the mozzarella pieces in the centre of each cake, making sure that all the cheese is covered.
- Roll the fish cakes in the flour, shaking off any excess, then dip in the egg, followed by the breadcrumbs.
- Cover and chill until ready to cook.
- Can be prepared up to a day ahead, or frozen.
- Gently grill or shallow-fry the fish cakes for 5-6 mins on each side until crunchy, golden brown and hot all the way through.
- Serve with salad and lemon wedges.