South African Christmas Menu

In Europe and the USA Christmas is a winter holiday with either snow or blazing cold wind and weather. In South Africa (and Australia) it is summer time, which makes a turkey, stuffing and hot sides just impossible. Nobody wants hot food on a hot day. So here is what we did for our BIG family in 2014! Lost of salads and cold meat platters with some traditional meat like beef tongue. These are great ideas even just for a BBQ or braai, something different, fresh and not too time consuming! Sorry about the blurry photo! We took amazing photo on the digitial camera and then lost the card!



Roasted Beet Salad with Goat's Cheese and balsamic dressing.

Basil, Chive, Cucumber and Corn Salad

Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus with Hollandaise Sause

Carrot and Zucchini Ribbon Salad

Bacon and Pea Pasta Salad

Brusselsprout and Grapefruit Salad

This year we are only about a third of the people so we will be doing only 2 meat platters and 3 salads.


It is so amazing how quickly the little One grew this year. The leap between one year and two years are amazing. She talks so much, is very head strong but polite and friendly and really is my beautiful little baby girl. Last year she didn't understand anything but loved ripping up the paper. This year she understands the concept of 'gifts' but not yet the concept of Christmas (or the fact that we have more than 10 birthdays in December!). But we are getting there.


One issue is whether we are doing the whole Father Christmas- thing. You know: hide the presents until Christmas eve then bring them out and lie to our little girl saying someone broke into our house, judged her on her behaviour and then decided to give her some presents... okay so I guess you can see how I feel about it. Hubby is adamant that this is a part of her childhood and should be embraced. So I have left it up to him and also the talk one day when she realises there is no Santa. When I was young I questioned the whole idea and my mother never lied to me. I knew she was the one buying me a present and since we weren't rich I was taught to damn well appreciate it because I will only get a new toy on my Birthday in the middle of the year!

What do you do with your little ones?

But what ever it is you do: Have a happy and safe festive season!

Comments

Popular Posts