Mount Nelson Just Because

I may have mentioned this before but I love the Mount Nelson. We got married there and try and return annually for our anniversary. Even if we can't always stay a night, we regularly eat at the Planet Restaurant for it's very fresh and delicious meals and since the menu changes seasonally we never get bored. Hubby however, was working very hard towards scoring some (much needed) brownie points after being so busy with his sport lately, and decided to book us in for the night as a big surprise. We were going there anyway as we had arranged a dinner at Planet Restaurant with a bunch of friends



And boy, he earned major brownie points! The room was fantastic, we booked in about 2 hours before our dinner and had enough time to get ready and relax, then just stroll to the lobby for pre-dinner drinks and meet our friends.

While getting ready we had a bottle of bubbly on ice (meaning I was very talkative by the time we went to dinner! And slept very well!). We had a beautiful view of the gardens and were able to order room service for breakfast. We had a bit of an 'accident' with room service though. We ordered bacon, eggs and the works for Hubby and French Toast for me and said on the order form it is for 2 people. They thought we each wanted bacon, eggs and French Toast. After having a huge breakfast (enough for 4 people on a special table and everything!) we just got back in bed and read the complimentary newspaper. I could really do this every weekend! Sigh...




Let's get to the food! I had the softest, most delicious Soya and Honey Glazed Pork belly with a cabbage salad, these amazing oriental dumplings served with a roasted pear and miso puree. I literally didn't need my knife that is how soft it was.


Hubby went old school and ordered the Ribeye steak with these amazingly crispy fries (double fried I am sure!) and perhaps the most wonderful green peppercorn sauce ever (I should know as I stole half of it!) with just enough bite and creamy as hell. The guys really enjoyed the new range of independant brewery beers available to go with the great food selection. I sticked to my bubbly!




For dessert I had this amazing chocolate tart with a smokey choclate ice cream, while Hubby had an espresso cremé brûlée. Truth be told we ate the lovely desserts so fast I couldn't  even get a photo of Hubby's one!



As always we had a fantastic time and with drinks it averages about R400.00 per person, which is worth every sent. I can't wait to go again! It's just a shame I can never decide what to eat and just want to try everything!
That reminds me, my birthday is in a few months....

Comments

Popular Posts