Dwarskersbos, Velddrif

Dwarskersbos - a golden oldie for us

Old-school West Coast camping, exactly as I remember it

This one is pure nostalgia for me. We used to camp here every December while I was at school, many, many years ago. Going back with the kids was strange in the best way because the good and the bad of Dwarskersbos is that it really has not changed much.

The campsite still feels much the same, although I am convinced there was more grass when I was younger. The town is still tiny, there is still that one little shop, and the sea still seems to stretch forever. For me, that simplicity is a big part of the charm.


 

The campsite

The stands are sandy rather than grassy, but the big established trees make a huge difference when the West Coast sun is beating down. We have always liked the shaded stands. A few sites look towards the sea, so if you can get one of those, even better - although the beach is close enough that it is never really far away.

 

This is municipal camping rather than luxury camping, and I think it is better to arrive expecting exactly that. The camping stands have electricity, while water points and braai facilities are available around the park.

Bathrooms and practical bits

The ablutions are communal - there are no private bathrooms allocated to individual campsites. The facilities include hot-water showers, toilets, baths, laundry and scullery areas. If private ablutions are important to you, this is therefore something to keep in mind before booking.

When we were there, the little tuckshop and an ice cream after the playground were part of the experience. Velddrif is also close enough for groceries or anything more substantial, so you are not completely cut off.


 

For the kids, simple works

The playground is simple, but it has everything a small child really needs. There is no elaborate entertainment programme - and that was never the point of Dwarskersbos for us. The children had the playground, their bikes, the beach and each other.

 

The beach is the real attraction. The kids loved the sand and, despite the very cold Atlantic water, would happily play there for most of the day. Long beach walks, shells, paddling and simply being outside are what a Dwarskersbos holiday is really about.


 

And yes, there are fish

 

Fishing is another easy way to fill the day because you do not have to go anywhere - just take the rods down to the beach. And in our case we have photographic proof that there are actually fish!

If you feel like leaving camp

We are quite happy staying close to camp, but there are a few easy outings nearby. Velddrif and Laaiplek are close for shops, restaurants and the harbour, and Bokkomlaan is worth a wander if you want a bit of traditional West Coast atmosphere. Rocherpan Nature Reserve is also nearby for birdwatching, short walks and wildflowers in season.

When I would go

December will probably always be Dwarskersbos month for me because that is how I remember it, and it gives you the full summer-holiday feeling. It can, however, be windy. If I were choosing purely for weather, I would seriously consider February or March: it is still warm and generally dry, with March usually a little less windy than the peak summer months.

Winter would not be my first choice for tent camping here. The West Coast becomes colder and wetter, and this is definitely a place I enjoy most when the beach can be part of the whole day.


 

The best part of the day

Sundowners really do give you the best view over the ocean. There is something about sitting there at the end of the day, with the light disappearing over the Atlantic, that makes Dwarskersbos feel exactly the way I remember it.

Would we go again?

Yes. Not because it is modern or luxurious, but because it is not trying to be. It is sandy campsites under big trees, a simple playground, cold sea, fishing from the beach, children with sandy feet and a sunset at the end of the day.

For me it is a proper old-fashioned family camping holiday - and one I am very happy to pass on to the kids.

Comments

Popular Posts